Monday, December 7, 2015

Ipoh Foodpedition (28-29 November 2015)

Ipoh is not exactly synonymous with Halal Food. However, we wanted to try out their famous local specialty rather than dine on fast food or "Hipster Cafes". I'm sure the cakes are yummy and all but I can easily obtain those food here in KL. 

Our first discovery was made by accident. We wanted to go to Ipoh Parade and made a wrong turn, we saw a restaurant with a huge "Nasi Lemak Ayam Kampung + Sup Belut" signage and loads and loads of people (usually a good sign when it comes to food). We decided to give it a try and I'm glad that we did. 

 Yummy Pulut Manggo 

We ordered the Nasi Lemak set for 2 people : It came with 2 Nasi Lemak Kosong, a plate of sambal sotong (nice), a plate of sambal kerang, a plate of ayam goreng kampung (the best among all), tomyam seafood (quite a weird dish to be eaten with nasi lemak IMHO), sayur campur, 2 bubur chacha and 2 watermelon juice priced at RM49 for the set.

The nasi is on the smaller portion, so we had to order extras for my little munchkins. The total of our whole meal is a whooping RM70++, quite pricey for a nasi lemak meal I would say :p 


It is not the BEST Nasi Lemak I've tasted but it is quite good and worth a try if you're in the area :)

Our quest for Ipoh Halal Food continues the next day, Lan is not too keen on lunching in Tambun Theme Park because lets face it, theme park foods are rarely yummy and is usually over priced. So we snacked on fries and Milo BUT I just had to try this Ice Ball out of curiosity...

The ice ball (ais kepal) that cost me RM5.00. It consist of ice, sirap ros and sarsi. I can get a huge bowl of ABC dripping with choc syrup AND ice-cream for less than that in Klang :p  A rip off la... but if you're trying it out for the experience, no harm in trying. It is nice but not for RM5 hehehe

Once we're done playing in the park, we decided to stop for lunch at "Greentown Dim Sum". We heard good reviews about the restaurant and I wanted to give a try since I'm a huge dim sum fan. Despite it being 3pm and after lunch hours, the restaurant was still quite full (always a good sign)

My fave fried radish cake (no taugeh) and shrimp dumplings

The Dim Sum Set (3 types of dimsum for RM9,90,my fave is the Siew Mai) and my children enjoyed the red bean pau very much

If you are not a fan of dimsum like my hubby, you can always try their rice/noodle dishes. Hubs had the Chicken Rice Claypot dish, not bad taste wise but nothing special. 

Overall we enjoyed the food very much and won't mind coming back for more. Planning to try out the Nasi Vanggey and Ipoh Chicken Rice on our next trip *Inshallah*